Power Station of Art’s “2017 Emerging Curators Project” enlistment guide
Deadline for proposals: 27th June 2017 12:00 p.m. GMT+8
Proposals to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The “Emerging Curators Project” of Power Station of Art (PSA, Shanghai) is currently an unparalleled development and research program in mainland China for the young Chinese curators around the world. As an exhibition and academic trademark of PSA, the “Emerging Curators Project” is devoted to explore the potential of young Chinese curators, provides them with an ideal platform for practice, comprehensive and in-depth guidance, a way to enter the public field and a positive environment to grow up.
Since its establishment in 2014, the “Emerging Curators Project” was organized three consecutive times, helping more than twenty young curators to realize nine exhibitions. While an international jury lineup with a broad field of vision, a professional support for exhibition work routine and offer an extraordinary starting point for the chosen young curators, it also continues to inject an abundant impetus to the Chinese contemporary art scene. Having been through this trial, the curators are ready to take a lively role and become an eye-catching force within the art practice both in mainland China and overseas.
This year the “Emerging Curators Project” will continue to dig out new curatorial potential, and tackle the most pressing issues in the artistic environment – the call-for-proposals for the “2017 Emerging Curators Project” begins on May 2nd 2017 and it is addressed to all Chinese around the world. The jury list was then announced on June 7th 2017, including members from the Academic Committee of PSA (in alphabetical order by Pinyin of last name), Homi Bhabha, Chris Dercon, Ding Yi, Fei Dawei, Feng Yuan, Gao Shiming, Gong Yan, Hou Hanru, Mark Wigley, with this year’s Invited Judge, Zhang Peili, and Guest Judge, René Lorenceau.
The details about the event and the proposal submission regulations are as follows:
2+1 Project Proposals to be Selected for Realization as Exhibitions
Through preliminary, intermediary and final evaluations, the jury committee for the “2017 Emerging Curators Project” will select three winning project proposals. The proposals can be from an individual or a collective, but with the restriction that collectives should not exceed three members. The three selected proposals will be realized in the form of full exhibitions. In addition to the two designated exhibition spaces at PSA, there will be a third proposal selected for an exhibition that extends into the urban space; this exhibition will be presented at the Swatch Art Peace Hotel, located on the Bund of Shanghai. The exhibitions are scheduled to begin at the end of the current year and last for two to three months.
2+1 “Emerging Curators Overseas Researchers”
With the full support of the Consulate General of France in Shanghai, two of the selected participants in the “2016 Emerging Curators Project” received overseas training, travelling to France in the spring of 2017 for a three-week visit. With the continued support of the French consular offices, two participants in the 2017 project will again receive assistance for international research, and will have the chance to travel to France during the spring and summer of 2018 in order to carry out a three- to four-week exchange session with local artists and art organizations.
Besides, Swatch and the Swatch Art Peace Hotel will award one winner of the “2017 Emerging Curators Project” support to travel to Italy sometime between August and November, in order to conduct a seven-day visit to the Venice Biennale to broaden her or his vision and carry out in-depth study.
“2017 Emerging Curators Project National Tour”
For the national tour, occurring during the open call period of the “2017 Emerging Curators Project”, PSA will coordinate with higher education institutions and cultural and arts organizations in several cities in order to plan and present emerging curator-themed symposiums; notable personalities within the field will be invited to discuss the current situation for young curators, share their experience, analyze problems, and foster imaginative thinking.
“The 2017 Emerging Curators Project National Tour” has by now passed through Beijing, Guangzhou, and Hangzhou, hosting more than 20 guests and conducting five panel discussions.
Project proposal regulations for “2017 Emerging Curators Project”
- Objectives and requirements:
- Chinese nationals or overseas Chinese born not earlier than January 1st 1977 (including mentioned date), who are doing research or practice in the (but not limited to) fields of arts, video and film, design, architecture, sound, etc. These requirements apply to all applicants, as well as to the artists involved in the submitted projects.
- Applicants must provide a résumé in both English and Chinese, an ID (or passport) copy and valid contact information.
- Project requirements:
- The applicants must submit a finished curating project, the project can touch upon artistic and cultural spheres, with no restrictions on the subject matter. The project should include: an exposition of the curatorial concept (not more than 1000 words), the exhibition structure, the list of participating artists and a brief introduction for each of them, pictures of the artworks, as well as caption and credit information and description of the artwork for each picture (descriptions should not exceed 80 words per artwork), the display blueprint and a detailed budget (including shipping, board and lodging, insurance, manufacturing of the artworks, installation and desinstallation, travel costs and per diem for staff, publications costs, etc.). The project should be submitted in both Chinese and English.
- On a technical, safety and functional level, the participating artworks should meet the requirement of two to three months of exhibition time; at the inauguration, an operating and maintenance manual with illustrations should be handed over to the technical personnel of the museum; if the curating team cannot guarantee the maintenance during the exhibition period, then maintenance staff and expenses related will be allocated by PSA instead.
The elected team can provide a public education activity plan relevant to the exhibition, which will be realized after the approval of the PSA public education department.
- Implementation details:
- The elected team should execute the display design within the space designated by Power Station of Art. The designated exhibition space is Gallery 7A, Gallery 7B at the fifth floor of PSA, and the exhibition room at the Swatch Art Peace Hotel in Shanghai. Floor plans of the exhibition spaces can be downloaded click on the link below. The participants can chose one of the three spaces.
- PSA will provide an “Emerging Curators Project Special Fund” of up to 300,000 RMB (tax included) for each elected project group, any exceeding expenses shall be handled by the elected team; the distribution and use of the “Emerging Curators Project Special Fund” has to pass the examination and approval of the financial department of PSA, the process and rules of its implementation have to conform with the respective regulations in mainland China.
- The media coverage as well as the planning of the educational activities will be provided free of charge by PSA.
- Evaluation methods, reward methods and rules for emergency withdrawal:
- Evaluation process: will comprise of three screening stages: preliminary evaluation, secondary evaluation and final evaluation, the candidates who pass the third stage will be interviewed by the jury commission at the beginning of July in Shanghai (overseas travel expenses should be covered by the candidate).
- Members of the jury: the jury will be formed by members of the PSA academic committee, as well as a specially invited member.
- The results will be published in July 2017; after the final three projects have been selected by the committee, they will be announced to the public through the official media channels of PSA, such as the official web page or the official WeChat account.
- Reward method: the three elected project groups will be entitled to use the “Emerging Curators Project Special Fund” as pointed out in the previous section; This year’s “Emerging Curators Project” will select three winners who will become the “Emerging Curators Project Overseas Researchers” and have the chance to study abroad. For details read the previous section.
- Emergency withdrawal rules: in order to guarantee the quality of the exhibition, PSA has the right to withdraw the candidate’s eligibility in the following situations: lack of practical execution capabilities, lack of responsibility for the curatorial work, lack of respect for the managerial rules of the museum, or being failing to execute the work before the appointed deadline.
- Method and deadline for proposals:
- Time period for project submission: starting from today till June 27th 2017 12:00 noon (Beijing Time, including mentioned date)
- Submission method: mail to email@example.com; the e-mail title should contain the phrase “Application for 2017 Emerging Curators Project”.
- For inquiry send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org; contact telephone numbers: 021-31108550-8307, 021-31108550-8207, “Emerging Curators Project” team.
In accordance with the relevant laws and regulations of mainland China, all participants who voluntarily submit their projects to PSA are considered by the organizing committee to accept that the attribution of submitted projects’ copyrights have been irrevocably claimed as follows:
The participating projects shall be the participant’s original work without infringement of any other’s copyrights, trademark rights and other intellectual property rights; the projects shall have never been commercially exploited in any forms. Otherwise, the organizing committee shall invalidate the projects’ qualifications to be included, selected and awarded, and reserve the rights to pursue further legal actions.
The attribution of all submitted projects’ rights belongs to the participant. PSA, however, owns the rights over display, promotion and other activities regarding all the awarded and selected projects.
PSA’s official website (www.powerstationofart.com) and its official Wechat account “yancongpsa” are the officially appointed portals for the project’s information release.
*PSA reserves all the final rights of interpretation for the mentioned event.